Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another Complication of Radiation Treatment

As I reported in my previous post, I am having difficulty eating. I get spasms of pain which appear to come from my lower esophagus. The pain is worse later in the day, and is worse with eating dry solid foods. Liquids go down better, and in the morning, I can eat my Rice Krispies with raisins, banana and blueberries without these spasms. Pudding,  ice cream and yogurt are OK. Today, I called Dr. Flam and asked to see him. He had come back from vacation earlier than I thought, and I was there at 4:00 PM. The office was surprisingly busy. I got my port flushed and had labs which are stable. I have not lost weight. A chest X-Ray showed improvement from the previous, and I was better able to take a deeper breath. I realized that in that respect, I am significantly improved. Dr. Flam is quite certain that this is not due to recurrence of Merkel Cell carcinoma but is a stricture of the esophagus due to radiation. He called my gastroenterologist, Dr. Robert Lewis to set up an appointment for an esopho-gastroscopy  and dilatation of the stricture, but it was too late to reach him. I expect this to be scheduled tomorrow, and hopefully to be done by early next week. In the meanwhile, I am to have only liquids and "pureed food". "No bagels and lox" in the words of Dr. Flam.
Stricture of the esophagus is a relatively common complication of radiation treatment and usually responds well to balloon dilatation. The major complication of rupture of the esophagus is relatively rare, less than 1% for all strictures, but greater for radiation strictures. The procedure may have to be repeated more than once as the stricture has a tendency to recur.
I think it will be an out-patient procedure.
It is of interest that I am feeling otherwise quite well and am functioning at a good level.
I will report a follow-up when I have more information.

1 comment:

  1. Hi doc Dave. Thanks for all the reports. Glad the constriction is not affecting your activities as much as one would think it might but I'm sure you'll be thrilled to get it taken care of, even if it has to be redone.

    Sending you lots of good energy,
    Gavriela from the MCC group

    ReplyDelete