Monday, May 2, 2011

Update Five Days After Cisplatin

It is Monday, May 2, 2011. On Friday, I had the third session of chemotherapy with VP16, along with all the other medications they routinely give.  This went off without incident except that they wanted me to have labs drawn, and made me wait for the lab tech to draw the blood when I could have been starting the chemo. It makes no sense to stick a vein when the port is going to be used the same time for chemo. On days when there is no chemo, get the labs from a vein. On days when there is chemo, get the labs from the port. This resulted in a half hour delay in getting started, no big deal.
On Saturday, I went for my shot of Pelfilgrastim (Neulasta), a drug which stimulates the growth of healthy white blood cells. The shot is given into the subcutaneous tissues. I took mine in the left arm. There is a 30% incidence of bone pain from this drug but I had no symptoms.
Neulasta Link
On Wednesday, I have an appointment with Dr Flam. The following Wednesday, again, and the second round of chemo will begin May 17.
I am feeling fairly well at this time. The spasms in my chest have reduced. Could this mean the chemo is working? I am more fatigued than I am used to, going to bed at 10:00 PM instead of close to midnight. I am having some constipation without significant discomfort, and waking every 2 hours to void. I suspect this may be due to the Zofram, which I stopped this morning as I am not at all nauseated.
Zofran Link
The surgical site in the abdomen and the port insertion site have healed well.
I a trying to resume some activities, going to the bridge club today and tomorrow morning, driving, walking the dog and watching the inept San Francisco Giants blow baseball games.
I hope to post a follow-up after my visit with Dr Flam.
I thank the so many people who have offered their prayers and encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great 5 days after Cisplatin. Just goes to show that you are one tough cookie Dave. Glad that your side effects have been minimal. Fatigue is normal. Just think of it as a way to get more beauty sleep. Our prayers are with you and we are praying that the tumor will just wither away.

    Diane & Scott

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete