Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chemotherapy-Day 2

Chemotherapy-Day 2
All went according to plan. I arrived at 8:15 AM and the infusion room was empty. 
First was Solucortef and anti-nausea medication. Then 1000 cc of normal saline, followed by the VC16. I was out by 12:15. The needle was left overnight in the port but I had them pull it today so I can take a real shower tonight. The skin over the port seems to be healing well. The steri-strips stay until they start to fall off. During my treatments, several patients arrived for treatment needing new IV's. Watching the interaction between patient and nurse reinforced the conclusion that I had made a wise choice to have the port placed.
I am having very few symptoms. My voice is slightly hoarse and I am having some constipation. I managed to pass some rocks which seemed to help. I'll start Metamucil tomorrow morning.
I am getting the occasional hiccups. I was given a prescription for Reglan which I will try if the symptom gets worse.
The generic for Zofram anti-nausea drug was not approved by by our Medicare Part D provider. $21.95 for 8 pills. An advisor at  Dr Flam's office, Patty, who was very helpfull, established my right to coverage under Medicare Part B as I am having "in-office chemotherapy". This reduced the price to $7.30. Out of  interest, she called Winton's Pharmacy in Fresno and got a quote of $1200 for 100 non-generic Zofram. What a racket.
Tomorrow should be a repeat of today, and then a brief visit Saturday for a subcutaneous shot of Neulasta.
Symptom to expect as a result of the Solucortef: Insomnia.
Symptom to expect as a result of Chemotherapy: Fatigue.
What a combination. Fatigue but insomnia. Can't stay awake, can't fall asleep.
So far it is a draw, as I fell asleep without difficulty, but my old man prostate woke me up after about 3,5 hours and then it was very difficult to get back to sleep,
Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment