Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Visit With Dr. Flam

First, the labs were done. My Platelet count has dropped from 236,000 to 67,000. My white count has dropped to 3200  from 6400. My Hemoglobin is stable at 11.7 grams. When I saw these results, I was somewhat worried but Dr. Flam seemed to feel that this was a normal reaction to the chemo and that I was doing well. He is encouraged by the improvement in my symptoms, which he feels is an indication that the chemo is working. In fact, he is suggesting imaging after the second round of chemo, possibly with an eye towards following up with more radiation to the posterior mediastinal mass, assuming it is responding well to the chemo as verified with imaging.
This is all very encouraging.
Meanwhile, I am having only minor symptoms. Constipation for which I have started Colace (generic).
My sense of taste has lost something since I started the chemo. No metallic taste, but food does not have the full flavor it had recently. Part of this is a holdover from the radiation treatments. My mouth remains dry and there is some inflammation of the gums.
I finally have learned that I do indeed have evidence of the Polyoma Virus. I  have antibodies to the T-Antigen of Merkel cell polyomavirus, according to Dr Nghiem. I suspect I received it in the mid 1950's when given the Salk Vaccine.
I have been interviewed for the the NCI Cancer Bulletin, a free online newsletter published every other week by the
National Cancer Institute. The interview was conducted by phone today. When the article is printed, I will post a link to it. The interview was conducted by Edward "Ted" Winstead. He has previously written about MCC for the NCI.

No comments:

Post a Comment