Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Plan

I had a long conversation with Dr. Nghiem today. He is not against my having chemo, but is also not strongly in favor of it. We discussed the pros and cons, and I have come to the conclusion that it is worth the risk and misery to try to defeat this monster of a disease. Judy has come up with a great idea. it is not an urgent matter to begin the chemo immediately. Unless Dr Flam is able to convince me otherwise, I will visit my mother in Montreal and on my return, have a port placed and begin the chemo.
I will likely leave towards the end of next week and stay for about five days.
My Niece and nephew in Montreal just had a baby girl, as yet unnamed, and I will have the opportunity to see her as well.
This will be my last chance to travel for a long time so I will make the most of it.

3 comments:

  1. David,
    Have a great time in Montreal. I agree that it is worth trying anything which has any chance of helping. As always, I wish you the best.
    Sydne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,

    It is a very tough decision to make, but it sounds like you are going with your "gut" when it comes to battling MCC. When Scott was first diagnosed in June of 08 at the age of 14 with horrific metastatic MCC ... bones, lymph nodes, multiples tumors ... one of the MCC experts who will remain anonymous, actually called me and told me that chemo wouldn't work for Scott. He was very anti-chemo. What was I supposed to to do? Let him die? Scott's treating oncos told me that if chemo didn't work, he would be dead in three months. My gut and motherly instinct took over. I found another MCC expert in Boston who worked with my son's pediatric oncologists at Childrens National Medical Center in DC. They made a plan, and my precious son will be 18 in November. He is living life to the fullest. Yeah ... he has to monitored closely, but he is finally driving me crazy ... being a teen ... after missing out on three years of being a teen. I am eternally grateful to his doctors and the MCC experts who convinced me to go with chemo and two bone marrow transplants.

    The road might be tough at times for you Dave during chemo, but considering the alternative ... I'll leave it at that. It breaks my heart that so many MCC patients are told not to have chemo. It is a decision that only they can make.

    It sounds like you have a wonderful wife and family who will be by your side. Scott is getting ready to plan a cross country trip to Texas to his friend's family ranch this summer. In June of 08, I really never thought 2011 would happen for him. Never give up and never lose hope. You can beat this evil devil MCC. Hope you have a great time on your upcoming adventure.

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott Hammond

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Uncle Dave,

    Can't wait for you to meet your great-niece and see the developments in the new house. Since we're off work for the next few weeks (Ben for 3 weeks and me for 50 weeks), our schedule is pretty open and we're happy to receive visitors. I can even make you French onion soup. ;-)

    ReplyDelete