Thursday, April 21, 2011

An Innocent Man

I read a book by Gresham, not a novel, about innocent men convicted of murder on death row. It was called "An Innocent Man". 
I think in some ways I am the Innocent Man. I may be on death row. My team of attorneys is my medical care providers. My appeals are through chemotherapy. The judge is God. I committed no crimes. I may be on my final appeal.
After a trouble-free day of travel, I am home. I will have pleasant memories of this trip. My Mother is frail and weak, but seems to be very stable for somebody who will soon turn 94. 
We had an unexpected visit from Willie Kravitz and his daughter Meredith on Monday. Willie is "the 4th son". He and his wife Elaine became very close with my parents when they lived in adjacent apartments. My parents baby-sat for Meredith when she was an infant, but she is now all grown up.
We had no Seder to go to because of issues which my brother's wife Gertie has with my mother, so we had dinner at Place Kensington. They did serve Matzah-ball soup, Gefilte fish and "Matzah Bread".
We saw an interesting movie called 'Gentleman's  Agreement" with Gregory Peck, from 1947 about anti Semitism. A Christian writer pretends to be Jewish to research an article on anti-semitism. If you have a chance to see it, it is worthwhile.
Here is the countdown:
5. Today, 
4. Friday. PET scan in the morning, CPA for my audit and to prepare my belated 2010 tax return in the afternoon
3. Saturday
2. Sunday, my last day of reasonable comfort
1. Monday. 7:00 AM to St Agnes for insertion of a port
0. Tuesday. Chemo begins.
I hope to be able to continue this blog through my chemo.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,

    As we've said before, we will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers next week as you begin chemo. Remember to ask them about the anti-nausea cocktail ... benadryl/ativan/kytril before the infusion. It works wonders !! They'll put it right into your port. Praying for your strength and keep the humor going. You .... too .... will live to be as old as your Mom.

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott Hammond

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the SIA and former FICMG rads are thinking of you! The anti-nausea cocktail sounds like a great idea!!
    Mark Alson

    ReplyDelete