Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I get a Buzz Cut

Chemotherapy begins tomorrow. I decided that I don't want to wait for my hair to fall out so I got it all cut off today. Here is the new hairless me.
The bandage is from the port insertion. Below is a photo of my chest to show the location of the incisions.
The larger bandage covers the incision through which the port is placed. The port lies under the skin. The smaller bandage covers the location where the catheter is placed in the jugular vein. They tunnel the catheter from the port to this incision and then insert it into the vein. It is all done with local anesthesia, but thanks to the magic of Versed , I have no memory of this.


This is the best photo I could find of the port itself from the Bard website. There are two wells into which the drugs can be injected. Each is delivered through a separate lumen in the catheter to the Superior Vena Cava. The ports are strong enough to take a pressure injection for contrast enhanced CT. Supposedly, the port does not degrade CT or MRI images.
I am feeling quite good. There is mild discomfort at the incisions controlled well by Extra Strength Tylenol, a drug which I rarely take as it usually does not work for me. I prefer Advil but they want me to stay off it for now.
I hope to be feeling well enough tomorrow to post my experience with the first day of chemo.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    You are rocking the bald! Love that smile even going into first dose of chemo. We are really jealous. We found that we should have had the "Power Port" inserted when Scott was first diagnosed so we didn't have to worry about blowing his broviac double lumen port to pieces during scans. Unfortunately, things happened so fast at diagnosis and time was of the essence. It all worked out but that broviac central line was a chore to take care of. I had to wear a mask and gloves to clean it and keep it sterile. He only wound up getting one infection in the port, which is amazing.

    We will be praying for you tomorrow Dave. Keep in mind that the first couple of days, you feel great. The side effects build up, but we have no doubt that you will be a champion chemo patient.

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,
    Well, I've been attracted to that look for years :}
    Not everyone can pull it off as well as my husband but you come in a close second. I think it is very cool that you are giving details on what people talk about and assume we understand..you make it clear. The Felix Family hopes everything goes easily for you,
    Bluma & Company

    ReplyDelete