Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pre Radiation

Wednesday, June 30, 2010.

I have a dentist appointment at nine o'clock this morning. I'm nervous about this. If cavities are found, it is possible that I will need extractions prior to radiation treatment and in addition, it may change the treatment plan and delay the treatment. Fortunately, nothing is found. However I will have to return for additional x-rays of my mouth on July 7 at 11 AM.

At 11 AM, I have an appointment for follow-up with Dr. Flam. They do lab work which shows no abnormality. After about an hour and 20 minutes of waiting time, I finally get to see Dr. Flam. He has read the journal articles which I gave him. However he does not know very much about the virus associated with Merkel's. He gives me his e-mail address and later on in the day, I e-mail him some references. I have an appointment to see him again in about two months.

Gary has been doing some interesting research on the association of Merkel's and the polyamovirus. I will post his information later.

I am still feeling fine apart from some discomfort in the region of my incision, and some numbness in the region of my left ear. I'm in good spirits. I plan to work tomorrow all day, half the day Friday and then play bridge in the afternoon, and then work three afternoons a week during the early part of my radiation therapy unless I become too fatigued.

Monday. July 5 2010.

I have a piece of good news from Dr Nghiem. One of the blood tests done was a very sensitive assay for circulating Merkel cells. There were no such cells found in 7 cc of blood. They don't know what this means as there is little experience with this test long term but it is the best possible result. I am interpreting it to mean that my immune system is eliminating circulating merkel cells and this is a good prognostic indicator.

No comments:

Post a Comment