Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Begin radiation Treatment


Thursday, July 8, 2010.
Yesterday was a very busy day. I had received a call to switch my first radiation treatment to one clock on July 7, 2010. I had planned to work the afternoon at Kaiser. I had a dentist appointment for a complete set of x-rays to rule out cavities prior to beginning radiation treatment.
I had noticed a skin lesion which look like a wart just at the edge of the inferior margin of my right orbit. It had turned red and was noticeably larger than it had been previously. This was very disconcerting as I was beginning treatment to the left side of my face and neck. The entire treatment plan would be incorrect if this turned out to be the primary Merkel cell carcinoma. I decided to start work early. I called my dermatologist. He was on vacation, but I set up appointment with his associate, Dr Simjee, who agreed to see me in the morning. I left Kaiser after working only about one hour. I was seen by the doctor who assured me that she was 99.9% certain that this was not Merkel cell carcinoma. She did remove the lesion superficially and sent it for her pathological examination.
I went from there to the dentist who reported that my x-rays did not show any evidence of cavities.
After lunch, Judy and I went to see Dr. John, to consult prior to beginning radiation treatment. The radiation plan is for five weeks of intensity modulated radiation to deliver a dose of approximately 51Sv which corresponds to 5100 rem or rads using the older units which I am more familiar with. This will be delivered over five weeks, and followed by one week of electron beam therapy to the specific area where the tumor was first discovered. Of interest is that the dose to my right sided salivary glands will be about 20% of the dose to the left. I presume this is because of scattered radiation. After five treatments, I should be able to judge the net effect of the radiation on my right salivary glands by the results of the treatments on the left salivary glands.
 On Monday, we will have a chance to speak to the dietitian. 
I have my first radiation treatment. Thy inclose me in a mesh mask which conforms to my face and keeps me from moving. There is only minor discomfort.
After the treatment, I returned to Kaiser and work another 2 1/2 hours.
After work, Dana, my daughter-in-law (Gary's wife)  comes for dinner with Sarah, age 3 and Bel, almost one, This is a wonderful distraction. I barbecue steaks, thinking that while my taste buds are still functioning, I might as well enjoy a good steak.
 Sarah has become something of a comedienne. She said that she will not participate in her day camp activities but was only going to stand around. She repeated that several times, and then with a big grin on her face she said "I was just kidding". She is learning to swim and Bel is also learning to swim. However allowing them to go in the pool is a big production. They have a wonderful time just using the wading pool. Just as were about to go inside, Rocky (our Goldendoodle) punctuates the evening by peeing in the pool. 
I sleep much better, having been reassured that the treatment plan is on track.

I go for my Thursday morning radiation treatment. It is very quick and easy. I keep thinking as the radiation beam is traversing my body "take that you Merkel cells, I'm going to kill you. I'm going to get rid of every last one of you. You are my enemy and I hate you" .

On Friday, July 2, I received notice that my drivers license is up for renewal. It will expire on my birthday, August 18, 2010. I'll have to take a written test. I checked with the DMV website, and the earliest possible appointment is August 12. This means that I would have to take the test after five weeks of radiation treatment and my drivers license photo will show my face probably bright red from the radiation. One of the three DMV offices in Fresno has been closed for about a month. I decide to see if I can take the test without an appointment. I drive to the DMV office in Clovis and get there about 830 in the morning. There were 75 to 100 people waiting in line outside the door. The parking lot was filled with cars and people searching for spots. Parking on the adjoining streets was also nonexistent, filled with additional vehicles along to people going to the DMV office. As I did not want to spend all day at the DMV, I decided to use my appointment. I asked Dr. John if I would be in mental condition to take the test and he said I would. If you have an appointment, you usually only have to wait a few minutes. I would hate to lose my drivers license. 
I asked Dr. John when I could travel. He suggests waiting three weeks after radiation treatment. I will make an appointment to go back to Seattle to see Dr. Nghiem at the end of September. Judy wants to plan a cruise.

This Merkel tumor has forced us to cancel a trip to Philadelphia to visit our son and daughter-in-law and their new baby who is expected to be born in about a week. He will be our first grandson. I would like to travel to Philadelphia perhaps in the beginning of October to meet and greet him. They plan to name him Eli. 
Our oldest granddaughter, Eva, has written the following while at camp.
I think she will be a wonderful writer someday.



"Friendship is the sprout of a new life.
 When you make a friend, you have a person who will be by your side, and love you no matter what.
 Your friend will always walk home with you.
 They will hug you when you cry.
 Without friends, there would be no peace.  The world would  not spin round.
We need friends.


Eva Shuster-Arechiga Age 9

No comments:

Post a Comment