Sunday, July 25, 2010

Radiation Treatment Continues

Here I am after 5 radiation treatments. The spot on my cheek is the biopsy site. I have the report of “Inflamed Suborrheic Keratosis”. No Merkels. Of interest is that the report does not show the name of the reading pathologist.
I think I have a slight facial droop on the left as a result of my surgery.

Sunday, July 18, 2010.

This has not been a good weekend for me. I have begun to develop the symptoms of radiation treatment. Nothing unexpected has happened, with the exception that I think is happening sooner than I expected. I began to have a very sore throat, and some discomfort with swallowing. I have lost much of my sense of taste. This is the case after only 8 treatments, and have 22 treatments to go. I dread the next few weeks. As yet, have not taken any painkillers. Tomorrow I will discuss the situation with Dr. John. So far, I have noticed no skin changes.  My beard is still growing on the left side. There's no redness or skin discoloration. I've had no itching or other symptoms. I have noticed some hoarseness.
Reading of peoples experiences online, I fear now that when my symptoms become worse, I may require a gastrostomy. I also fear that my sense of taste will never return.
I hope that this will all be worthwhile. It would be terrible to go through all of this only to have the cancer return.
On a happy note, I got to spend a lot of time with Gary, Dana, Sara and Bel. Sara has been particularly delightful. She came over to me and kissed the location on my right leg which still shows some discoloration after a skin biopsy. We joked with her about her becoming the kissing doctor. In many ways, the kissing is better treatment than anything else.
I spoke to my mother today. She is doing well. Ellie (my sister) visited her and just left today.While she was there,she was able to do a video chat with Mike and Leanna and had an opportunity to see Sammi and Eli.
Tomorrow, the plan is that radiation treatment in the morning, and play bridge in the afternoon. I still plan to work in the afternoons next week.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010.

On Monday, I was examined by Dr. John. He thinks that I might have oral candidiasis (thrush). This is a yeast infection.  when he looked in my mouth, he saw some white patches in the area where I was uncomfortable. He has given me a prescription for oral Nystatin.In addition, he gives me a prescription for a mixture which requires compounding.  It includes sorbitol, lidocaine, hydrocodone, and acetaminophen.  in order to receive these, I had to go to a pharmacy which does compounding.
I go to the bridge club.  When I'm done, I have a message on my cell phone from the pharmacy is saying that.  They would  like my permission to proceed with preparing this for me, in case the insurance doesn't pay. I go to the pharmacy, and the insurance does not pay.  This is quite ridiculous, but it turns out that I have to obtain a retroactive formulary exception.  Dr. John's staff is very helpful and this was taken care of yesterday.

The medications are actually helpful, and my pain has diminished.  However I'm still very uncomfortable with throat pain, dry mouth, difficulty in swallowing, and loss of sensation of taste.

I have now completed 11 of 30 radiation treatments.  I am not looking forward to the next four weeks.  For now, I feel that I'm still able to work, and will continue to work three afternoons a week.  I will still play bridge on Monday afternoon and Friday afternoon.  Last Monday, I feel that my bridge game was not up to par.

No comments:

Post a Comment