Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Update at Halftime

Wednesday, July 27, 2010.

I am at the halfway point in my radiation treatments. My symptoms as previously listed  are about the same. My back pain is manageable and my throat pain is minimal. Constipation is gone. The most troubling symptom is complete loss of the sense of taste. Mike and Leanna have suggested I try Miracle Fruit. This is a fruit which contains a chemical which alters the taste of foods to make them taste sweet. It acts on the taste buds. I have ordered this from Amazon in pill form, and will report on its effect on me.
There were reports on CNN which looks encouraging. Here are the URL http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/25/miracle.berries.weightloss/index.html
The research is being done at Mount Sinai in Miami, and a Dr Mike Cusnir was interviewed about it on CNN. I decided to call to discuss this. I had to call three numbers, all of which were answered by a very helpful HUMAN, and not by a machine. I did not get to speak with the doctor but I did speak with Monika Brooks, a nurse involved with the research. She reports good results in many chemotherapy patients in restoring some sense of taste, but not all patients. They have limited experience with radiation treatment patients.

Thursday July 28,2010

Here are the photos from the halfway point.



I can see a definite left facial droop. Otherwise there is little evidence that I have received radiation.
My back has improved. My neck feels warm on the left. All food has no taste. There is a constant bad taste in my mouth. Others describe it as metallic. I have been advised to use plastic utensils. This doesn’t help.

No comments:

Post a Comment