Sunday, July 25, 2010

First Week of Radiation Treatment, Eli is born.


Friday, July 9, 2010.

My third radiation treatment was this morning. Yesterday in the afternoon, I felt some nausea. Otherwise I feel good and have no signs of radiation in my neck. I arrived at the office on time but had to wait about a half hour before treatment began. I met two interesting men in the waiting room. One was being treated for a brain tumor with radiation and chemotherapy at the same time. He was optimistic because half way into his treatment the tumor was slightly smaller. He had a history of thirty years of survival after testicular cancer and lung metastases.
The second man was being treated in his left neck for skin cancer, I presume squamous cancer and had a very red neck with a white patch about three inches in diameter, which was a skin graft. He also had some neck deformity and a facial droop on his left side.
He must have had a radical neck dissection and probably facial nerve removal as he said the tumor infiltrated nerves.
Both of these men seemed to be in very good spirits considering their conditions.
It makes me feel things could be much worse for me.

Tuesday, June 13, 2010.

Yesterday, at about 2 AM, we received a phone call. Our first grandson was born by cesarean section in Philadelphia. He weighed 6 pounds, 7 ounces and was 19 inches in length. Unfortunately, he was positioned with the occiput posterior, sunny side up. After two hours of pushing, they decided to perform a cesarean section. Everyone is doing well. We were supposed to be traveling to Philadelphia both to greet the new baby and help out, but this will not be possible. Fortunately, Leanna's parents arrived in Philadelphia just before the baby was born.
It appears that radiation treatment has not yet affected my bridge playing. On Friday afternoon, Bert and I came first, on Sunday afternoon, we also came first and on Monday afternoon, we came first of 12 tables and had the best score of all 24 pairs. Of interest is that Judy and Carol came second of East-West pairs.
On Friday, Bert Rettner, my bridge partner and friend took me for an early lunch. He is a physician who is now retired. However he has a particular interest in alternative medicine. He gave me names of reference books one of which I took from the library. The book is called "Younger Next Year"by Chris Crowley and Dr. Harry Lodge.  It basically gives you hints on diet and exercise to maintain your youth. I don't know if I can follow the advice at this time, but it is about time that I began a program of exercise which is more vigorous than merely walking the dog once or twice a day.
On Monday, following my radiation treatment, they have what they call a stat session. This is the time when the radiation oncologist evaluates how I'm doing. So far, and had no symptoms. We had a brief meeting with the dietitian. I will have to apply Aloe Vera lotion to my face several times a day.
I asked Dr. John about tips for improving my immune system. He recommended meditation. I don't know if I can do that, but today, while I was having my radiation treatment, I attempted to concentrate all of my thoughts on appreciating my heartbeat.

I have begun an e-mail correspondence with a former associate of mine. His name is Andy Osborne. He is much younger than me, and a world-class cyclist. He developed the mass in his neck which was diagnosed as carcinoma of the tonsil. He also underwent radiation treatment and I think chemotherapy as well. He has been doing very well and has resumed cycling and won races after recovering. He has given me three pieces of advice.
Be aggressive! Don't think for a minute that you cannot beat this.
Accept help when people offer.
Keep a positive outlook.
He said that he researched everything he could find on this cancer on the Internet and came up with 30 ongoing experimental protocols. He told his doctor that he wanted to be involved with all of them. He found a protocol which offered a 15 to 20% survival advantage but was experimental. He paid for it himself as it was not covered by insurance. One year later, it became standard treatment.
I think, that without asking, I have been following Andy's advice.

Tonight, I am hosting my regular monthly poker group.

No comments:

Post a Comment