Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Plan is Finalized

I quote from my brother Robert.  "The reason people retire is so that they will have time to visit doctors."
Between now and August 15, I will have 25 visits for radiation, 5 visits for chemotherapy, 5 evaluations by Dr. Flam, 5 status checks with Dr. John and a visit to by internist, Dr. Holmes. I think I also have a dental check-up coming up.
Today, it was Dr. Flam. You can't escape his office without labs. 
The bone marrow suppression from my prior chemo continues.
White count is down from 5900 to 3500, Hemoglobin is down to 10.9 from 11.2. Platelets are still normal but down from 182,000 t0 158,000. 
My symptoms are unchanged.
The most troubling is still hearing loss, with a buzzing sound when there is speech, particularly from male voices, including my own. Female voices seem to sound tinny. I hear the sounds, but its like a foreign language, of which I know many words but miss enough to often lose comprehension. The buzzing sound is something I can't find reviewing the web for hearing disorders.
The dry mouth and loss of taste continue.
The plan is to have radiation treatment with chemosensitization. I was reluctant to have 5FU, and the first words from Dr. Flam were "I don't want to give you 5FU." The drug to be used is Taxotere, with a generic name of Docetaxel. This is given at 1/3 of the dose which would be given for its chemotherapeutic effect.
Side effects include anemia, low white count,fluid retention, peripheral neuropathy,nausea, diarrhea, mouth sores,hair loss, fatigue, weakness,and infections. Less common side effects include vomiting,muscle and joint pain, low platelets, and abnormal liver function.
Because I am receiving a relatively low dose, I do not expect the side effects to be severe.
Here are some additional observations.
Since I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma, I have not been sick. No colds or flu.
Since chemotherapy, my patches of eczema, whith I think are probably mild psoriasis have disappeared.
I have lost about 23 pounds, and my cholesterol numbers have improved.
I have great health coverage. So far, between Medicare and Blue Cross, I have paid almost nothing out of pocket for all the care I have received.
I am looking beyond August. Between August 15 and the end of 2011, we have planned a family cruise in December. Judy and I will take a west coast cruise at the end of September.
We will also visit Mike and Leanna, Sammie and Eli, probably in October, and go to Montreal to visit my mother, perhaps on the same trip to the East.
In between, while in Fresno, I hope to work part time. (To pay for all this).

3 comments:

  1. You're very fortunate to have avoided colds and flu throughout all of your treatments. I think that maintaining a positive attitude and remaining as active as possible are key factors. So your determination to visit with family members and to return to work part time will be therapeutic.

    In just a few weeks, I will transition from chemo to daily doses of radiation and remain hopeful that I can at least maintain some level of work activity. s/George Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is your psoriasis/eczema? I've completed 15 of 18 scheduled chemotherapy sessions, and beginning about a month ago, I've developed a rash of red spots on both forearms - each about 0.2 cm in diameter.
    s/georgemurraymerkel

    ReplyDelete
  3. My small skin lesions were around my ankles. They disappeared during chemo.

    ReplyDelete