Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Closing In On The Mid Point Of My Radiation Treatment

I have to say that at the end of last weekend I was getting very discouraged. I was taking daily shots of Leukine because my WBC's were down to 3100. I had a reaction of chills, and probably fever once. I was having nausea and almost constant diarrhea. My weight was down. I had no appetite. No food tasted good to me. I understand the need for the radiation, but the symptoms are mostly related to the Taxotere, being given to enhance the effect of radiation, rather than for its chemotherapeutic effect.
Today, I had my 12th of 25 radiation treatments and a visit with Dr. Flam. I also had the third of what I expect to be five infusions of Taxotere. I am feeling substantially better. I attribute this to my bowels returning to some semblance of normalcy. My WBC is up to 4400, not a huge improvement but better. My hemoglobin dropped from 10.9 to 9.9.  Because of that, I was given a shot of Procrit, (epoetin alpha), to stimulate the production of red blood cells. Platelets were down slightly from 129,000 to 104,000. 
I was feeling so discouraged that I wanted to discuss discontinuing the Taxotere and just going with radiation,but now I feel I can stay the course.
Thanks to Patty at Dr. Flam's office, the issue about the coverage for Carofate has been resolved. Apparently the insurance will only cover one generic brand, and I paid $7 for 3 weeks supply. The pharmacy originally obtained the wrong brand, and I asked what it would be out of pocket. $500. What a messed up system!
Dr. Flam suggested last week when I complained about the logistics of getting everything done suggested I come in at 7:30 AM today. He said I would have my labs done, see him get the infusion started and get to Radiation Therapy by my 8:30 appointment. This would work better than having the radiation first, and then coming to get the labs started after 9:00 in the usual traffic jam it his office. The techs at XRT were skeptical that this could be done and they were right. It all ran together at 8:30 when I was about to leave for XRT and Dr. Flam was ready to see me. Nevertheless, it worked out better than last week.
Judy has been wonderful. This week, she has been transporting Eva, our 10 year old granddaughter to Good Company Players acting camp, for 9:00 AM and picking her up at noon. Today, she woke up to take me to treatment for 7:30, took the dog to the park, picked up Eva to take her to her camp. Later, she picked Eva up and picked me up afterwards, and we had Eva here for most of the afternoon.
Tomorrow, I will drive myself.
Go Giants! It looks like we will get Beltran from the Mets.
Now, if we don't need to use Barry Zito we should have a good shot at a repeat championship.

1 comment:

  1. Doc Dave,
    So glad that you are feeling better than last week. As Audi once told me there is a beginning, middle, and an end and I am glad that you are closing in on the end of treatment. Take care Dave. Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.
    Carol V.

    ReplyDelete