Saturday, July 2, 2011

Decision Made

I have heard from Dr. Nghiem. He is encouraging about the plan to enhance the radiation treatment with chemotherapy.
Dr. Podolsky is also encouraging.
I have had my set-up appointment and the treatments will begin on July 12 and continue for 5 weeks.
I have an appointment with Dr. Flam on July 5 to coordinate the chemotherapy.
My skin is marked with black marker ink and the marks are covered with tape. In the first session, July 12, they will place small skin tattoos for accurate targeting of the radiation. 
The most feared complications will be related to the esophagus. Esophagitis, perforation and stricture are the most common, but the chance of stricture is less than 20%. It occurs as a late complication as a result of scarring, and can be managed by balloon dilatation.
The set-up includes low resolution CT. I looked at the images which were done with some barium in the esophagus. The residual tumor can not be identified with certainty and I believe it has shrunk since my last CT. 
In the meantime, my body has a chance to recover from the chemotherapy. I feel quite good. My taste buds seem to have slightly improved. My mouth remains too dry. No hair has fallen out, but no hair grows on my head.
I have arranged to work at Kaiser on Wednesday morning and hope to be able to work more, both during and after my treatments. I must say I am going somewhat stir-crazy at home.
We are in the process of planning a family cruise in December and I am confident I will be healthy and fit so we can all enjoy it.



2 comments:

  1. good to hear that you are feeling good and i think its a good sign that you are feeling a bit stir crazy at home..have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your latest posts. Hoping for a good outcome for you. I share some of your symptoms and have not yet had first radiation treatment. s/George Murray

    ReplyDelete