Thursday, July 14, 2011

Esophagus Radiation with Chemotherapy Enhancement

This phase of my treatment has begun. 
On Tuesday, I went for the first radiation treatment to the mediastinum. New markings covered with tape were placed on my chest. The actual treatments consisted of six short bursts of radiation, with the machine repositioned for each burst so the tumor is shot from many different angles. This is done to reduce the radiation dose to structures near the treatment site. These include my heart, lungs, spine and spinal cord, vagus nerve and liver.
My appointment was for 8:00 AM, but there is a new regulation from Medicare which requires the Radiation Oncologist to be on site during the treatment so it was delayed until after 8:30. The schedule has now been changed so treatments will be at 8:30.
Yesterday, I went for my radiation treatment followed by chemotherapy.
After the treatment, I went to Dr. Flam's office in the same complex, and the waiting room was as crowded as the Los Angeles Freeways will be this weekend. I had my blood drawn. The results are good. Platelets normal at 137,000, White count normal at 4,900, and hemoglobin low but stable at 10.9 g/l.
After a brief visit with Dr. Flam, my treatment began. Through the port, I was first given 32 mg of Zofran over 30 minutes to prevent nausea. then, over the next 2 hours, I received 57 mg of Taxotere. Because this was the first dose, they gave it slowly to make sure I did not have an adverse reaction. The only reaction was some flushing and a slight burning sensation around my ears. I did not get sick but was tired afterwards and was mildly nauseated.
I drove myself home, and rested in the afternoon.
Brian is visiting from Vancouver. Gary and Dana invited us for dinner and I was able to go and eat some BBQ chicken and a hot dog, with a small amount of strawberry pie for dessert, so the nausea was not a factor. I drove there and, being tired, drove myself home before Judy and Brian left.
Today was treatment #3 of 25. There was also a status check with Dr. John. There is nothing much to report about this, but I did ask him if I should show up on time for my 8:30 appointments, because if he was going to be late, so was I. He did admit to having a conference on Thursdays which do not end until 8:45, so I will not rush to be on time on Thursdays.
It looks like the main side effect to be aware of is esophagitis, with possible development of a stricture. (An area of narrowing from scar tissue which can obstruct the movement of food) 
As a precaution against this, Dr. Flam wants me to take 20 mg. of Prilosec twice daily and Carafate Suspension, 1 tablespoon after meals and at bedtime. Somehow, my dead taste buds still think it tastes terrible.
Today, I am feeling well, mildly constipated, with no nausea.
I don't expect significant symptoms for the next 2-3 weeks.

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you as you continue this very challenging regimen. Will each of the 25 radiation treatments be accompanied with chemo?
    Having undergone 15 chemo sessions and nearing completion of that phase and looking ahead now to radiation, I can't imagine doing both during the same time frame.
    s/georgemurray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemo weekly on Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a strong person and you'll survive this interval. Your medical background will be extremely helpful. I'm rooting for you.
    s/georgemurray

    ReplyDelete
  4. After much experimentation, the best antidote for the constipation was Ducolax in the evening followed by orange juice (with lots of pulp) the next morning. Loose as a goose.
    s/georgemurraymerkel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete