Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One Week After the End of Radiation Treatment


August 24, 2010

I had a brief appointment with Dr John this morning to check out my skin. As you can see from the photo, there is an area of depigmentation on my neck but my cheek looks fine. Not visible in  tne photo is some skin breakdown behind my ear which I continue to treat 3 times daily with dilute hydrogen peroxide followed with Silvadine cream. Dr John says it is improving. I am feeling good. My throat is still sore but improved. No change in my taste buds.

I asked if there are any studies on neck radiation patients giving statistics about the time: dose: location: relationship to taste recovery. I could not find anything but anecdotal information on the internet. You would think some grad student would follow a large group of patients through the recovery period with either tests of taste or subjective quizzes to be able to construct graphs of the timeline to taste recovery. As it is, Dr John suggests that with my dose and using Intensity Modulated Radiation, I should expect substantial recovery in the next two months. He also says I should have no problems traveling in October so I will begin to make plans to go to Philadelphia and Montreal in mid October.

Our house is on the market. We have had two open houses and three visits by realtors with prospective buyers. We are asking $200,000 less than when we put it on the market 3 years ago, but no hint of an offer yet.
I will continue working 3 half days in August and then go to about 2 1/2 days per week in September.

Bert and I scored 212 on a 156 average to win Monday’s bridge game. However our winning streak did end on Sunday, finally not finishing in the overalls.

I know that at one time Judy asked people not to call, as I was having a hard time reviewing all my history with friends and family, but I have adjusted well to my condition and my prognosis and am happy to speak to anyone who wishes to call.

I have found a back-up Doctor in case the kissing doctor is unavailable.
Here is Dr Sammie, my granddaughter in Philadelphia.



5 comments:

  1. Dave,
    Thank you for your updates. Now you stay healthy, so your back-up doctor will be able to take care of you after she graduates medical school and finishes her residency.
    Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, Glad to know that you are getting on with your plans,and that the post-treatment era has arrived. We are waiting or you in Montreal! Love to you and Judy, from Bluma and Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctor Sammie comes highly recommended, if needed. We are glad you have remained so cheerful. Although we are sure that you had your moments.
    Lynne & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, we ( Billy and Cheryl, Ronnie and Karen and I) were in Montreal a month ago and saw your mother. She said that you were ill but did not give details and we did not feel at the time appropriate to ask the specifics but we knew that it was serious. I saw Ellie on Saturday when Karen and I came in again and got the details from her and the details of your blog. All of us wish you a very speedy recovery. Please give our best to your family members in this time of difficulty. We will continue to follow the blog and your progress. Our thought and prayers are with you and your family

    Cousins Howard and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David,
    My first attempt did not go through but just wanted you to know I am thinking about you, and happy to read about your optimistic attitude toward your bout with cancer. Best wishes for a healthy New Year and complete recovery. Cousin Ronnie Rubin

    ReplyDelete