Friday, October 7, 2011

Radiation Pneumonitis, No Evidence of Cancer!!!!!

Today I spoke with Dr. Nghiem. He told me that Merkel Cell Carcinoma looks like any other malignancy when it spreads to the lungs, round smooth nodules. It typically goes to the lungs only late in the disease when there is cancer which is widespread. He will look at the images on my last blog and have Dr, Parvathaneni look at them also and get back to me. I so much appreciate his responsiveness. 
I called Dr. Flam this morning and he agreed to see me on an urgent basis. I had labs done and my counts are improving. HGB is up to 12.3, WBC up to 5500. We did a baseline chest X-Ray and I must say that it looked almost normal. It amazes me how much more we see on a CT scan of the chest than on a routine X-Ray. We reviewed my PET/CT images. He examined me and I went for a walk while measuring my O2 Sat. This is a simple measurement with a device clipped to the finger which measures the percentage of oxygen in the blood compared to the maximum. It should run in the high 90's. It was 95% at rest and on walking, went up to 97%. These results indicate good function.
Dr. Flam has come to the conclusion that this is radiation pneumonitis, and the predominant area of involvement is the area which was irradiated. There are other areas involved also which he says is not uncommon. It is more common when chemotherapy is given at the same time as I had. The treatment if symptoms require it is with steroids. We would like to avoid steroids because of the immunosupressive effect which is not desirable with MCC.
He is fine with me sticking with my plans to go to Montreal and I will bring pills for a course of steroids with me in case they are needed. He suggested I delay my flu shot until I get back but wants me to wear a mask on the airplanes.
I have to thank Dr. Flam for seeing me in the middle of an exceedingly busy day. 
Bottom Line: No Evidence of Cancer. As good a result as I could hope for. Radiation Pneumonitis. A temporary inconvenience.
On to Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment