Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Peripheral Neuropathy: An Explanation

I have symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, which I would like to discuss in detail.
This is a condition in which there is damage to peripheral nerves, both sensory and motor. The common causes are diabetes and chemotherapy but there are other causes. At its worst, patients can develop severe arthritis in the feet which is caused by repeated trauma, because the protective mechanism of pain sensation is not present. This is termed "Charcot Joints".
Symptoms include pain and numbness in the hands and feet. The distribution in the feet particularly and to a lesser extent in the hands is described as "Stocking numbness". This is numbness that goes from some point in the leg to the toes like a stocking or sock, rather than in the distribution of peripheral nerves and allow distinction from other causes such as a slipped disc or nerve injury or in the hands to distinguish from neck disc or carpal tunnel syndrome.
In my case. there is also dryness and clumsiness of the hands due to motor nerve involvement and  more subtle sensory deficiencies such as loss of proprioception which allows your brain to know where your fingers are. I find simple tasks somewhat challenging, such as turning the pages of a newspaper or separating one coffee filter from a stack, or buttoning my shirt. It has also resulted in spilling a cup of coffee on my lap and shattering the glass coffee mug.
fortunately, I have had little pain but there is the occasional shooting pain in my feet.
Dr. Flam suggested Vitamin  B Complex which I began taking. I searched the internet and found a company that claimed to have 90% success treating this condition with their fat soluble version of Vitamin B. I bought a so-called 3 month supply for $145. they suggested 4 capsules daily, but upping the dose if it did not work, so the final dose would be 12 capsules a day or $140 for one month supply. This has not been effective and as they offer a 3 month money back guarantee, I will try to get my money back, without much optimism. So, its back to the pharmacy for Vitamin B Complex. At least it is an inexpensive treatment which I don't think will work.
Oh well, better to live with peripheral neuropathy than die of Merkel Cell carcinoma.
Here is a link to a Mayo Clinic artticle about peripheral neuropathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment