Thursday, October 6, 2011

My PET/CT Results: Good News and News of Unknown Significance

This will be a long post.
I have been complaining of increasing shortness of breath lately. The symptom is not disabling but is disturbing. I have been thinking I might have lung metastases, and because of this, I have pushed up the timing of imaging to have my scans done yesterday. Before I get into the findings, I would like to fully describe the symptoms. I have little tolerance for exercise, getting short of breath with rapid walking. When I take a deep breath, it seems to catch and make me want to cough, I have difficulty modulating my voice and sometimes have to stop speaking to cough. I am not short of breath at rest.
Coronal CT Image
On this coronal image, there is air space consolidation adjacent to the heart, more right than left. There is also some focal peripheral consolidation.
(Right in patient is on viewers left)
Consolidation means fluid or other tissue where lung should be)
Here we can see that there is consolidation on both sides.




Axial CT Image
Here, we see a large abnormal area of air space consolidation to the left of the heart and several additional abnormal areas of lung consolidation on both sides.








This image shows some similar areas in the left upper lung.
These areas are described in the PET report as showing uptake of the tracer (the indicator of abnormal activity) which probably indicate infectious or inflammatory origin. The areas adjacent to the heart are described as also taking up the tracer, most compatible with post radiation inflammatory change.
There is no uptake in the area of the original mediastinal tumor, reported as a "Positive response to interim therapy".
Both the PET and CT reports attribute all this to inflammation and not neoplasm. My experience with almost all forms of cancer is that metastases are smooth round nodules in the lung without inflammatory changes around them.
However, I am not yet jumping for joy.
I have called Dr. Flam to discuss this and expect to hear from him tomorrow. I have also tried to reach Dr. Nghiem to get his take on this. Nobody I have talked to has ever seen what metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma looks like in the lung. We also need to find an explanation for the findings assuming they are not MCC.
In the meanwhile, I expect to go to Montreal as planned on Monday and deal with this when I get back.
To sum up, at first look, this seems like good news, but after many disappointments, I retain a guarded optimism.
I will leave Monday for Montreal, where I will see my 94 year old mother, perhaps for the last time. She has lost weight and recently weighed as little as 63 lbs. While there, I will have a chance to visit with my sister Ellie, her daughter Cheryl and grandson David (not named after me) from Edmonton, my brother Jon, visiting from Gainesville Florida and my brother Robert, his daughter Andrea, her husband Ben, and granddaughter Alex.
In addition, it will be my 45th medical class reunion and my 50th undergraduate reunion at McGill.
These can not be missed.
It seems like only yesterday, and yet also like an eternity ago when, on a visit to Montreal, I put my hand on a spot right in front of my ear and fount a mass. It was only 17 months ago. I have been through two major surgeries, 3 episodes of radiation treatments, 2 courses of chemotherapy, a port insertion, innumerable blood draws, and about half a dozen sophisticated imaging studies. These are all further documented in my earlier blog posts.
I continue to fight!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy your time in CA and the love of your family. Thanks for sharing the scans; I hope there is an explanation along with an easy resolve waiting for you on your return.

    ReplyDelete