Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Status After Final Radiation Treatment

My last radiation treatment was Monday, Aug 15. Take me out of the oven. I'm all done. My esophagus is cooked. In fact it feels like it was burned.
Yesterday was my visit to Dr. Flam. See the rant below.
My labs were OK except for my Hemoglobin which was 9.8. I needed another shot of Procrit, which insurance wouldn't pay for as the appointment was 6 days and not 7 days after my last shot. No big deal. I had that done today.
I have gained 4-5 pounds since my last appointment and we agreed to stop the TPN, tapering it off with the last treatment on Friday night. Saturday morning, I get to remove the Huber needle myself and will have just skin covering my port.
I have had some burning in my esophagus and heartburn at night. This should resolve as my esophagus heals. Food still has no taste. I seem to have a form of anorexia nervosa.
My tongue was white and Dr. Flam diagnosed Candidiasis (Thrush). He put me on Mycelex, Generic.
It comes in "lozenges", which are actually white chalky pills to be sucked until they dissolve, three times daily. Surprisingly, they are not as obnoxious as they look. Perhaps getting rid of the candida will help restore my sense of taste.
I have no ankle or foot swelling. My blood sugars have been behaving, as I have been self-testing as required 3 times daily.
I have been drinking up to 3 bottles of Boost Plus daily and eating a small amount in addition.
I have noticed that my hands are always dry and there is slight numbness in my fingers. I have become clumsy, dropping things and with slight tremor with small motor tasks. (Including typing this). This seems to be a mild peripheral neuropathy as a result of the chemo. I think I have similar but less obvious neuropathy in my feet. Dr. Flam told me to take Vitamin B complex for this but I doubt this will make a difference, as I have been taking multivites all along and vitamins are added to the TPN. Nevertheless, it couldn't hurt.
Dr. Flam offered two possible plans for follow-up. CT in 1 month if I absolutely had to know if all this worked as soon as possible. PET/CT in 2 months as the PET would not be accurate because of residual inflammation in 1 month. I prefer to wait until after our cruise at the end of September so will have the PET/CT in mid October.
Meanwhile I see the nurse in 1 week and Dr. Flam in 2 weeks.
Sunday afternoon,  we had the Fresno Shusters for birthday cake to celebrate Judy's birthday. That was a nice distraction.
Last night I went to our monthly poker game,  It was great to get out even with the TPN running. I left early, ahead by 80 cents. Before I left, I had a small slice of Mary Callender Lemon pie. It tasted like they forgot to put the sugar in it.


Friday, I plan to return to the Bridge Club.


Here is the rant. 
My appointment was for 10 AM.  At 11, I was weighed. At 11:50, I was called back for the nurse to draw blood from my port and replace the Huber needle. I was not seen by Dr. Flam until 1:30, and did not get out of the office until close to 2:00 PM.
Late in the afternoon, Judy went to pick up the prescription, which was supposed to have been called in to the pharmacy. They didn't have it.
There were many patients grumbling in the waiting room, some very sick and waiting to have chemotherapy. 
There has to be a better way. Even the Cheesecake Factory gives pagers to those waiting for a table.
In Dr. Flam's defense, his Physician's Assistant recently left and has not yet been replaced, and he was seeing about 100 patients that day. I pointed out to him that the waiting times were excessive, and he shrugged it off to being very busy. He gave instructions for me to be the first patient of the day when I see him in 2 weeks. This does not change the fact that the office could be organized to reduce waiting times for all.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dave S, you have really gone through the mill and I'm surprised that you've been able to maintain a positive attitude despite all the negative things that have happened to you.

    At the place where I go (Virginia Oncology), they do give patients these little buzzers to signal them that the staff that does the blood work is ready to see you. (They even wipe the devices off to minimize germ spreading.) The actual doctor appointments consists of three levels - (1) Weight, temperature, and blood pressure by a nurse, (2) Physcician's Assistant who asks how you're doing and who checks heart and skin, and (3) Actual sit-down with the doctor. I often feel like the doctor portion is like "wham, bam, thank-you-mam", and he can't wait to get rid of you. Two days ago, my radiology doctor was going through all the things to expect during the next phase, and it was clear to me that he did not wan to be interrupted with a question from his patient as he had a script and intended to stick to it.

    But I'm happy for you that you are now able to disconnect from all of those treatments and enjoy some down time. In just five and a half weeks, I'll be there too.
    s/georgemurraymerkel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete