Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Round 3, day 1

We have a plan. It is obviously not set in stone.
Six rounds of chemotherapy. PET/CT before the 4th round. Assuming I have improved, that is the posterior mediastinal mass is smaller and there are no new lesions, Imaging again after the 6th round. Then additional radiation to the site of the posterior mediastinal mass. After chemo and before radiation, a visit to Dr Nghiem and a cruise. I hope I can work out the schedule to take the cruise out of Seattle.
Our 49th Anniversary was June 3. We went to red Lobster to celebrate although Judy has misgivings about the date since my first surgery was done on June 3, one year ago. I must say I was not impressed by the food although I am sure it was in part due to my diminished sense of taste. We received a gift basket of Canadian chocolate bars, maple sugar and shortbread cookies from Gary, Dana and the girls. The Nestle Crunch bars tasted almost as good as I remember them.
I have been feeling pretty good this past week, so I am not looking forward to round 3. It starts with labs and an examination by Dr Flam. My hemoglobin remains at 11 grams. My WBC are 9,900 again normal and my platelets are 166,000. This is also normal. So far I have tolerated everything well, with only complaints of dry mouth, decreased taste and some tenderness of my gums. No hair loss although the hair on my head and my beard are growing only very slowly. I guess I got the buzz cut prematurely. I don't think I am significantly worse today than I was after round 1.
We arrive early, at 8:00 AM. I am done by 3:30 PM.
I am not uncomfortable during the chemo although I am running to the bathroom every 20 minutes towards the end.
About a week ago, Bert, my bridge partner and good friend suffered a stroke. He lost the ability to speak, but no other functionality. He was in the hospital for a few days and is expected to make a full recovery.
I spoke with him on Saturday and he was quite lucid, although he was often still unable to find the words he needed. We had finished first and second the two last times we played bridge. I played with Jill Friday and we won. I played with Byron  yesterday and we won.
I will wait to play bridge again probably until a week from Friday, hopefully with Bert.
Our dear friend Bonna came for breakfast on Saturday and she brought us a chicken noodle cheese casserole which we will have for dinner tonight.
Eva slept here Sunday night. She will have her hair cut tomorrow and donated to Locks of Love to make wigs for cancer patients in my honor and also in honor of her grandmother on her mother's side who died of lymphoma and/or breast cancer.
We had dinner with our good friends Carol and Larry Saturday and then they came here to play some bridge. I see significant improvement in their game. 
That's the news from here. We are trying to keep busy, but I am not looking forward to the next week.
Go Giants.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're handling it very well. It certainly hasn't slowed you down at the bridge table. Keep fighting. Maybe we can play in Santa Clara.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it goes well for you. I have stayed cancer free from the neck down for three years, ever since my chemo. I hope it works the same for you. I did have lesions in the brain but you know better than I about chemo not being able to get to the brain.

    My little gray cells don't work as well since the brain radiation but I was a lousy bridge player even before the whole brain radiation. You sound like you're pretty good.

    I hope your friend recovers fully and you and he clean house at the bridge table.

    And lastly, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

    Rick S

    ReplyDelete