Saturday, January 1, 2011

There is a Suicide Bomber Living in my Body

The suicide bomber living in my body is Merkel cell carcinoma. It lurks in hidden reaches and plans its terrorist attacks, with the potential  that if it is successful, it will result in its own demise as well as mine. Just like the battle against terrorists, we have to use all the weapons at our disposal to destroy every single Merkel cell. To that end, I have undergone a somewhat unconventional treatment. When my Merkel cell carcinoma recurred as a large posterior mediastinal mass, instead of the suggested chemotherapy followed by a large dose of radiation, I have had only a small dose of radiation directly to the recurrent tumor in the hope that this will trigger an immune response. Prior to this treatment, my circulating Merkel cell count was measured at 13 cells per 10 mL of blood. I have just received a very encouraging result. After 2 1/2 weeks, the count has decreased to only one cell for every 10 mL of blood. At the end of January, I will have a follow-up assay, and perhaps my body will have successfully obliterated the terrorists.
I am feeling well, without any symptoms of the mediastinal mass. I have had no side effects from the radiation treatment. The only complaint I have is a dry mouth, and reduced sense of taste, all resulting from the original surgery and radiation.
Over Thanksgiving, we had a wonderful visit from all of our children. I have posted a collection of photos on Picasa. The link is below, and I don't know is how to place it so that you can click it. If it does not work, you'll have to copy and paste it into the browser window. I think I fixed it. You can click on "Here is the link" below.
I am sure that this collection of photos will bore many people, but for those interested, the photos are of my oldest son Gary, his wife Dana, and their three children, Eva, Sara and Bel, my middle son Brian, and my youngest son Mike with his wife Leanna,  and their two children Sammi and Eli.
Here is the link
http://picasaweb.google.com/radocshu/Thanksgiving2010#5557290779026217122


We will be leaving on Wednesday for a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It will be a 10 day cruise. We are taking this instead of the Hawaiian cruise which we had to give up as a result of my needing to have more radiation treatment.


You may notice that there are ads placed in this blog. Surprisingly enough, there have been over 3000 page views since I have begun posting. I have decided to monetize the blog. I think that if you view the ads, money comes to me. Any such money will be donated for Merkel cell research to the University of Washington. I will personally match any money donated.


My dear friend, Lenny Clayman, frequently suggested that Judy and I join  him and his wife Bluma on exotic vacations, most of which we have not done. In the past few years, he urged us to do this by saying “We don't have that many good years left.”  I may not have that many good years left, But I plan to live them to the fullest.

5 comments:

  1. Have a very relaxing & enjoyable cruise!
    I do not mind the ads, but am wondering if there is a way to turn on the closed captioning, like you can on the actual YouTube site. I cannot understand the words when I listen.. I can hear that there are words, but turning up the volume distorts them. I ran the video all the way through, so you would get credit, but then clicked on UTube to be able to see it with captions. Do we have to watch the whole thing for you to get credit?
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great news to start the New Years with, David. Have a great trip. Best to you and your family. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip!! I did look at some of the pics. All of you look great.Beautiful grandchildren!! ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. great news Dave; We know that inventiveness springs from pressure on the mind !!!the low dose therapy is a great idea and so far so goood!!
    We are behind you and beside you in this battle and journey... have afun cruise best regards to Judy too
    cousin george

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, more power to you! I'm glad you're having such success with your "experiment".
    You mentioned that the low dose radiation is supposed to trigger an immume response. How does that work? As a transplant patient, I'm interested in how to put the immune system on track to fight the cancer without triggering it to reject the graft.
    Thank you for blogging all this. You were the inspiration that got me started with my blog and are an invaluable resource for people to learn from.
    Have a great cruise and many more!

    ReplyDelete