Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thirteen. What Does it Mean?

Last Friday, at about five o'clock, I received a telephone call from Dr. Nghiem. He reported to me that the circulating Merkel cell count measured in the blood that I had drawn on December 7 revealed 13 Merkel cells in 10 mL of blood. After my surgery and before commencement of radiation treatment for my initial tumor, the circulating Merkel cell count was zero. So is this bad news? Obviously it is worse than if the count was zero. However I expected there to be some circulating Merkel cells as I have developed a distant lesion. Dr. Nghiem did not seem to be disappointed or unhappy. In fact, he seemed to be almost elated, as this will provide him with a measurement of the effectiveness of the unconventional treatment that I have had. He has made arrangements for me to have a follow-up Merkel cell count done. The blood will be drawn next Monday, a week from tomorrow. That will be 19 days after my single dose of radiation which was intended to unmask the antigens in the tumor and to allow my immune system to react to the tumor as foreign material. I think that will be the crucial count. If it has returned to zero, it will suggest that the treatment is working. If it has gone up, that will not be good news. However I will allow the treatment more time to work before I do anything else.

We have signed up and paid for another cruise. This one will go to Mexico from Los Angeles, leaving on January 5 and returning on January 16. As long as I continue to be asymptomatic, I plan to take that cruise. In some ways, I feel like Charlie Brown, trying to kick the football. The football is the cruise. We already missed our two week cruise to Hawaii, and I'm not even sure if we will get any money back. However Princess cruises said that we will at least receive credit for the money paid. We still had to pay for this cruise as they have not had time to assess whether my medical excuse is valid or represents a pre-existing condition.

In the meantime, it is life as usual. I will work two days next week, and two full days and two half days the week between Christmas and New Year's. If I remain asymptomatic, following the cruise, I plan to work three afternoons a week.

Sometime later in January, I'm looking forward to visits from my brother Jon, and his wife Sandy, and from my sister Ellie, with her daughter Cheryl and her grandson, David, who was not named after me.

If I said I'm not scared I'd be lying
But there's no use sitting home crying
My target's a circle
Surrounding the Merkel
I'll beat you or I'll die trying.

1 comment:

  1. Love your attitude, Dave. Keep on fighting and let's hope you and Dr. Nghiem can beat this disease.

    Peace, love and good health,
    Rich Kessler (10 yr. survivor)

    ReplyDelete