Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I'm Still Alive

The events of the past 6 weeks or so have brought me close to death but failed to do me in. Although my head is not as clear as it was, I will attempt to recount my brushes with the grim reaper.
About 5 11/2 weeks ago, sleeping on my recliner, I needed to get up, for some reason. I was sedated with a phentonyl patch. I remember losing my balance, getting up and then falling head first into the glass door to the back of the house. Helped back onto the recliner, I slept the night, with a lump the size of a lemon on my forehead. Herb Boro called Judy the next morning and asked if there was anything he could do. He came to the house and immediately he and Judy took me to the hospital.
I was admitted with no platelets and no white blood cells, low hemoglobin. A CT scan showed no intracranial bleeding but I am sure I had a concussion. A blood culture revealed Staph Aureus, but not the antibiotic resistant type. My port had to be removed and I went on vein destroying IV nutrition. Every venipuncture was agony.
I had blood transfusions, platelet transfusions, drugs to encourage WBC production, labs, regular blood sugar measurements with oversized lancets, insulin.
After 2 weeks I was ready to go home, but my esophageal stent had been removed and I could not swallow. The day after discharge, I was back for a PEG tube and stent replacement.
I was home again, relatively comfortable for about 2 weeks when my heart rate went up to 180. No chest pain or other symptoms. In Dr Flam's office, he diagnosed atrial fibrillation and converted me to sinus rhythm with drugs.
Today, I saw Dr. Dale Merrill, an old colleague and cardiologist who confirmed I am on the right track.
Biopsies of my esophagus showed Merkel Cell cancer, but the repeat biopsy at the time of insertion of the smaller recent stent showed a lattice of connective tissue without living Merkel cells. Dr Lewis thinks it is an optimistic sigh that the Topotican worked. Dr Flam thinks it is an artifact of crushed cells.
Probably I will have a follow-up PET scan in the next 2 weeks to learn more.
So, after lying in my hospital bed conjuring up methods to hasten my demise, I now have room for optimism.
Tonight, I plan to briefly appear at the Lady Antebellum concert at the Save Mart Center.
I hope to be alive to celebrate 50 years of marriage to Judy, who has been a rock in support of me.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,
    So glad to hear that humor again. We've been praying for you and we are so glad that you are doing better after what must have been a nightmare for six weeks. Stay positive !! and as Scott, your fellow MCC SURVIVOR would say ... Never ever give up !

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott
    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc Dave, you have given us all "optimism" and hope.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc Dave,
    Thank you for updating us. I was getting worried about you. You have been through so much but you continue to fight and to get over the major bumps in the road. Looking forward to you posting pictures of you and Judy when you celebrate 50 years of marriage. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Dave. Take care
    Carol V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to read your somewhat positive message. I am actually in Savannah GA with my sister & brother visiting cousins that we have never met before. The city is beautiful and the relatives are terrific. Mom hadn't seen them since 1947. We hope to hear continuing good news from you.
    Much love,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks brother...all the best and thanks so much for sending me the link....J E

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blogspot wouldn't let me make a comment yesterday (error msg). so i try again today: Dear Judy and Dave. Bless your longtime anniversary and immediate recovery. Thank you for the love you share with all of us. Marty C, Seattle

    ReplyDelete