Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Visit to Montreal

This has been a very enjoyable visit. My mother is in good spirits. She also seems to be in excellent health.


I got a chance to spend time with my two brothers. Jon lives in Florida and is a Professor of Biostatistics at the University of Florida. Robert is a retired teacher and lives in Montreal. Thank God for that as he has the responsibility to be the first line of defense for my mother. He brings her won ton soup every Saturday, carefully proportioned out to last the week. Is it a coincidence that when I was at my worst with side effects of radiation, I was living on War Won Ton soup?  I think the apple does not fall far from the tree.
That's Jon on my right and Robert on my left.
We played bridge yesterday recalling many family bridge games when my father was alive.
It was very close but after 16 hands, my mother was the winner.
We went for dinner at Ty Breiz, with my niece, Andrea and her husband Ben. Also joining us was Sandy, Jon's wife. The onion soup was almost as good as I remembered it. I guess my taste buds are making a comeback. The mouth is still dry.
Everyone commented about how great I look. Is it because I don't look like I am dying or is it because of the weight loss. I think the latter. I recall a song by Gilda Radner who later died of ovarian cancer.The song was called Goodbye Saccharin  and it lamented the recall of the sweetener because it caused cancer at huge doses in rats.
"Men prefer girls with cancer to girls with flabby thighs" (perhaps not a perfectly accurate quote).
I am off to Philadelphia tomorrow and will post again after that visit.

2 comments:

  1. You do look great and not just because you don't look like you are dying. Say hello to everyone in Montreal for us and give our grandchildren and children in Collegeville kisses and hugs from us. Continue your great time. I'm glad to hear that Isobel came out on top. That's the way it should be. A mother that has her three sons together with her should look great!
    Love,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I was not able to connect with you in October. We were so close by but of course a multitude of obligations always present. Thanks Stan R for the fwding of messges and news. dave we wish you well and yo do look pretty great. All of the boys look more and more like Sam.Iso looks great and keep up the soup brigade.
    george and sandy in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete