Thursday, September 16, 2010

Not Much New

There is not much new to report this week. I have worked 3 full days so far and will work another half day today. I must admit I was tired last night.
Here is my latest  photo. It looks almost back to normal. my skin is so smooth, it seems like it isn't mine. No need to shave the left side. I have stopped using the aloe vera, and the ulcer behind my ear has healed. My throat is sore and I can still see an ulcer on my tonsil.
Slowly, but surely, my taste is returning. The most noticeable is that the constant bad taste some call metallic, is gone. There is a recommendation to use plastic utensils to minimize this but I thank that is not useful. I noticed no change between metal and plastic. Zinc may help. I have been taking 50 mg of zinc gluconate twice a day. Brushing the tongue may help, trying to get rid of the appearance of a coated tongue. I think the most helpful thing is patience, allowing the body to heal, without expectations of any miracles. I can now taste some sweetness and some saltyness. Last night I ate shrimp cocktail, and it wasn't bad. The cocktail sauce did burn my tongue, and it was the mild sauce.
All in all, I am doing better than I expected. Now, I have to hope for good news on follow ups.



Here is a photo of Eli and Sammie. I will get to visit with them (and their parents) on October 11.
This is what life is all about.

3 comments:

  1. I have been following the blog and rooting for you every step of the way. When you are in Montreal I cannot think of anything better for your taste buds than a Snowdon Dell smoked meat sandwich..
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Sammy and Eli are. Continue to feel better.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all seems very positive. I'm so pleased that your sense of taste is starting to return! I'll keep tuning in for updates.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete