Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hurray! I don't have a Doctor's Appointment for Today

It's a Wednesday, and I don't have to see Dr. Flam today. In fact, I don't have to see him for another 6 weeks. I will need my port flushed 2 weeks from today.
I am feeling somewhat better. Although I am still short of breath, I can take a deeper breath without coughing. The cough syrup helps. It does contain a narcotic, so I try to take it only in the morning.
My neuropathy has changed a little. Occasionally, I do have some pain in my feet. This is new. However, there appears to be less numbness above the ankles than there was previously. My hands show little change. My mouth is still quite dry, and it makes many foods unappetizing. This includes bread, cake, and cookies. However my sense of taste has substantially improved, and is close to normal.
On Friday, we will drive to Los Angeles and stay over at the Holiday Inn in Long Beach. On Saturday, we will embark on our family cruise to the Mexican Riviera. (These days, the Mexican Riviera includes only Ensenada  and Cabo San Lucas.) There are no other stops. Whether this is because Princess Cruises is trying to save money, or because of unrest in Mexico, is uncertain. This is a vacation we've been planning for some time. It is a real family cruise. It will include our 3 sons, 2 daughters-in-law, and 5 grandchildren. When we planned this, I was hoping I could go, but I was not very confident that I would be in good enough health to enjoy it.  It seems to have worked out well.
We have now booked another cruise, this time, to Hawaii, at the end of February. I am very optimistic about this one.
I have been working about 3 mornings  a week at Kaiser Permanente,  and plan to work 4 full days at  Sierra  Imaging  at the end of December.
In other news,  the IRS has disallowed the deduction I took for the Ponzi scheme that I was a victim of. My  file was sent to Atlanta, but the agent who reviewed my tax return did not have the entire tax return but only the numbers to review. They didn't bother to give him the supporting documentation. Of course, he disallowed what was classified as a miscellaneous deduction. The IRS then stalled the case until the deadline for me to go to Tax Court was so close, that the case would not be reviewed in time. I think that the agent who receive the case in Atlanta did not want to have anything to do with it, and so just delayed to force me to go to Tax Court. This is an annoying bump in the road, and  I would be much more upset, I'm sure, if I did not have the experience of having to fight a malignant neoplasm. That helped put these minor annoyances into their proper perspectives.
I will conclude this post, and hopefully future posts, with an anecdote from the past.
One day I was doing a carotid angiogram. These examinations are done with the patient awake, although sedated. We were most interested in the region of the origin of the internal carotid artery in the neck, but had some interest in the branches at the base of the skull. When the catheter was in place, I was giving instructions to the technologist as to how to position the patient. The conversation went as follows.
Me: "It's important that we get the neck in this patient and not so important that we have the entire brain."
Technologist,  after setting up the equipment, “Is this okay?”
Me: “No. I don't care if you cut off the top of the patient's head. Just make sure you get the neck on”.
Patient:  “I care. Don't cut off the top of my head!”
 The moral of this little story is: Be  careful of what you say, because you don't know who may be listening.

2 comments:

  1. All good news and a funny story. Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Mark said. The cruise sounds WONDERFUL--enjoy and send love to all the Shusters!

    ReplyDelete