Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Emotional Roller Coaster

Today, I went with Judy to Sierra Imaging in Fresno for a follow-up CT scan. On my last study, there was an unexpected new mass in my posterior mediastinum that was treated with a low dose of radiation in the hopes that this would stimulate my immune system to control the disease. I have been looking well and feeling quite well although I have commented in the past about some indigestion.
My CT scan was completed and I went to visit the Radiologist, Glen Hananouchi, a former partner of mine, to review the results, with Judy there as well. I realize this is always a difficult spot to put him in but I have been in this position many times. We reviewed the images and saw the mediastinal mass was smaller. There were no lung or liver metastases. I left the room elated and we sat in the waiting room as I had requested a CD of the images for my records.
Shortly Glen came to get me, appearing crestfallen and I knew the news was bad. There was a totally unexpected new finding. A new lesion had appeared in my small bowel, surrounding the lumen and thickening the wall, measuring about six centimeters in length and about three and a hanf centimeters in diameter. Well, at least the feelings of indigestion were not psychosomatic. There is no doubt that this is a real abnormality and I can't imagine it is anything other than a recurrence of Merkel Cell Carcinoma. This reminds me of the carnival game "Whack-a-Mole" where as soon as you whack it, it reappears elsewhere.
Here are some images from my CT scan. The mass is in the left upper abdomen. The magnigied view shows the bowel lumen (area through which digesting food passes) in white with the wall around it.




Those images are in the coronal plane. Below are axial images.








Again, the small image shows the tumor surrounding the bowel.


So, what next. I await a callback from Dr Nghiem. I have spoken briefly with Dr Flam. I have also spoken with Dr Ed Felix, a good friend, who is well known in the field of laparoscopic surgery and who has trained as an oncologic surgeon. I wii see him on Monday. I think he can remove this tumor using laparoscopic technique, with relatively little morbidity. Hopefully this will happen in the next week or so before I develop a small bowel obstruction. After that, who knows? Chemotherapy? Watch and wait for the next mole to pop up? It may be a while before I get some answers. 
I would not have been surprised to see liver or lung metastases on this examination. In fact, I was almost expecting liver metastases to account for the indigestion. This was a shocker, and speaks to the variability of this disease.
Well, I still will not give up. If the bowel lesion is removed and is confined to the bowel, and the mediastinal lesion is not growing, maybe we can get rid of every trace of this bully for good.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Doc Shu,

    I'm so sorry to hear of this news. I very much can appreciate you likening this cancer to the Whack a Mole! You are so right with this analogy. Keep your attitude positive and your actions aggressive! Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,

    We are so sorry to hear about this new issue with MCC, but I have to say honestly that you shouldn't be afraid of chemo. I know Dr. N and your doctors will guide you in the right direction.

    My son should have been dead at the age of 14 1/2 from very bad metastatic MCC in June of 08 ... bones, lymph nodes, MANY tumors. You are a radiologist and I'm sure you would have been given the same prognosis that was given to us in June of 08. Never give up Dave. Thankfully, the Drs. who were treating my son came up with a plan, even though they were dealing with an adult cancer and they are pediatric oncos. They were amazing. They consulted with Dr. Wang and Dr. Marshall Posner at Dana Farber. We actually met with Dr. Posner in Boston. He is now the Chief of Head/Neck Oncology at Mt. Sinai in NY. If you had read my son's CT and PET back then ... it was really that bad. Guess what ... three years later he is loving life, working part time, driving his 78 Mercury and having fun after missing out on some valuable teen time. His next PET (he has them every three months) is the last week in March. I have this feeling that everything will be ok again, thanks to chemo. No matter what the experts say, when MCC spreads, chemo works. It is just a matter of finding the right chemo cocktail.

    We are praying for you every day Dave ... with faith and hope, and NEVER give up. That statement comes from Scott.

    Diane and Scott Hammond

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a totally successful surgery! Thank you for the update.
    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dave,

    What an emotional roller-coaster... I had to take a few deep breaths to read your entire posting, but I took comfort in Diane and Scott Hammond's comments. I hope you do to. I don't know if you'll delay or cancel your trip to Montreal, but I do hope to see you soon.

    Lots of Love,

    A & B (& Baby)

    ReplyDelete