Monday, April 9, 2012

Status Quo except increasing right sided pain

Here is the latest update of my physical and mental status.
I am awake and oriented, relatively alert although with decreased ability to concentrate.
Last Friday night, we had a miniature Seder with Gary, Dana, Eva, Sara and Bel. A very much abbreviated service in which the Four Questions were asked and the Afikomen was hidden was followed by a great dinner, of which I was only able to partake of a small amount. The highlight was gifts given to the girls for returning the Afikomen.
Judy worked very hard to make this a success.
We went to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra on Tuesday at the SaveMart Center and I was able to stay for much of the show. Brian was in town for a follow-up visit with his Doctor so we got an extra ticket for him. It was a great show.
I have been able to climb the stairs with some difficulty and to take showers in our upstair shower, much better than sponge baths in the downstairs bathroom. I was also able to lie down in our bed, a pleasure very much missed in the past few months.
We have had a few close friends come for brief visits.
My heart rate is generally well controlled  in the mid 80's by Amiodarone, 200 mg bid. I am also taking Prilosec, 200 mg BID as well as medication to shrink my prostate to combat occasional urgency incontinence, a sleep aide, and pain medication. Aleve twice daily seemed to work well, but I have been having worsening right sided upper back pain and right rib pain for which I have just resumed taking hydrocodone. I seem to be improved this morning. My shortness of breath also seems improved.
I fear this pain is due to bone metastases, and will have a PET scan next week to shed some light on this problem and determine the extent of disease.
Although with the esophageal stent present, I can eat almost anything, but I have little desire to eat. Perhaps it is because of dry mouth, for which I am using Biotene with some relief. Most of my calories are ingested through my gastrostomy tube. I do have some symptoms of gastric overfilling and worry about the cancer pressing on my duodenum.
But enough drowning in self pity.
The sky is clear. It's warm ouside. I shall sit out and catch some rays.
I can get around quite well with my walker. 
It is only 1 1/2 months until Judy and I celebrate 50 years of marriage.
Sara turns 5 today. She and Bel will visit this afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Passover, Uncle Dave! Glad to read there are some "pros" to outweigh the "cons". An abbreviated Seder sounds good to me-- wish Ben's family would consider that... ;-)

    Thinking of you and lots of love,

    Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of you often Dave and I am keeping you in my daily prayers. Thank you for the update. I am sure being back in your own bed must be wonderful. Funny how we take these things for granted until they are taken away. I pray that your side pain is kept under control. It is great that you are getting out and enjoying life. Music is truly a wonderful gift that uplifts us and touches deep within us. You have many people that care and that are sending healing thoughts you way. Take care Dave.
    Carol V.(mcc group)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Dave...so nice to hear from you and your humanity..hope it stays pretty and that you and your loving family can enjoy it and each other..as always your friend Justin..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am both amazed and encouraged at the tenacity that you've displayed in fighting this condition. Your narrative encourages all of us here and I'm hoping for a good outcome for you. s/georgemurraymerkel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete