Saturday, April 14, 2012

PET Results

Friday, I had a PET scan. it looks like the Topotican did me no good. A 3 cm node in the gastrohepatic area now measures up to 8 or 9 cm, pressing on my stomach. The esophageal mass is also larger, and may be compressing my left main bronchus. I have had respiratory difficulties with 2 episodes at night of what seemed like acute asthma. I am now on home oxygen and with it, attempted to go upstairs for a shower. That was a failure as I had the third asthma-like attack. 
It looks like I have a choice of waiting to die or going on Votrient. I somehow doubt my Insurance will pay and I think it will cost a lot of money.
Dr. Nghiem is encouraging about this, saying it helps in about 50% of cases and if Dr Bhatia and Dr Flam agree  (Appointment with Dr Flam Monday), this seems to be the last arrow in my quiver.

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    So sorry to hear that this bully is causing you so much discomfort and I am sure anxiety. I am sure that others in the group that have been treated with Votrient will step up soon to explain how much it costs and what the side effects were. The fact that Dr. Nghiem is hopeful is a good sign and I pray that if you do start treatment with Votrient that you are in the 50% that it helps beat down this bully. I am praying for you Dave and sending healing thoughts your way. You are not in this alone as we are all pulling for you and praying for you....Take care Dave.
    Carol V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    We are so sorry to read about these latest developments. I do want to tell you that my co-worker's husband was on Votrient for a very rare stage iv sarcoma and his tumors had an excellent response to the drug. He is doing very well. I'm sure your doctors will lead you in the right direction, and please know that we are always praying for you and your family. We admire your strength. You've been through so much, but your positivity and sense of humor are so inspiring. Take Care ...

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a true treasure and i hope you decide to try it and it works..sincerely Justin

    ReplyDelete