Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Bad News Doesn't Stop

This morning, while being prepped for my PET scan, I answered my cell phone. It was Dr. Flam. He had just received the pathology report on biopsies of my distal esophagus done by Dr. Lewis on Thursday. The biopsy material contains Merkel cell carcinoma.
Shortly after arriving home, Dr. Stobbe called me with the results of the scan. There is a large mass of tumor around my lower esophagus, up to 6 cm in length. There are also positive nodes in my upper abdomen.
I have an appointment with Dr. Flam tomorrow at 3:00 PM at which time he will recommend more chemotherapy. Dr. Lewis agrees with that, but I will await the opinion of Dr. Nghiem. I spoke with Dr. Blom, who works  with Dr. Nghiem.  He was in Washington but will be back in Seattle tonight. I will fax or email the path report, and images from my Barium Swallow tonight, and images from my PET and the report tomorrow. 
I began home hyperalimentation today. 
Last night, I had the most sleep I've had in a week. It was the peaceful sleep of the ignorant. I wonder if I will sleep that well tonight.
I am not in pain, and the nitroglycerine helps me drink fluids. I have had 2 bottles of Boost Plus today. 
I am hoping there is an experimental protocol which will offer me potential benefit, because it seems that more chemo will buy me a period of misery without any guarantee of a period of normalcy to follow, and may preclude any effective experimental protocol.
It should all come together in the next few days.

7 comments:

  1. Ben and I both just read your blog and we went pale. We both want to say something, but...we don't really know what to say. Ben says that your blogs have helped us feel close to the family. We thing that your writing has been courageous and quite amazing. Of course, I prefer the blogs that don't contain the title "Bad News". We will pray extra hard for you this Shabbes. All our love,

    Andee, Ben (& Alex)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc Dave,
    I just read your post and my heart dropped. I am SO sorry that you got the biopsy results that you did and I am hoping that Dr.Nghiem can come up with a protocol to help you through this. If anyone can he can. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I that I care. Thank you for always sharing and explaining your journey in such a way that it teaches and allows the reader to understand the medical side of dealing with this "bully" Take care Dave. You are not alone in this. Everyone in the group cares about you and wants only the best for you.
    Carol V.(mcc group)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc Dave S.,

    Yes, It is late here on the east coast and I have just logged into the group and saw your comment. Jumped to your blog to read the above.

    Hoping your sleep will be that of strength and pure courage that we have all drawn from you of late and in the past.

    I recall the evening I called your son when he sent in his request to join the MCC Group and we talked for some time about this rare cancer that needs to be beat on all counts.

    We are now counting on you to beat this rare cancer for all those that will follow in our steps after each of us are long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Richard Shuster

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who have struggled with this condition, your battle is our battle and your triumphs are our triumphs. I remain hopeful that the medical experts who are most knowledgeable about Merkel Cell can devise a successful treatment regimen. for you. s/georgemurraymerkel

    ReplyDelete
  6. With you in my heart. Just sent you an e-mail. No reply necessary. Simple presence. Marty C, Seattle, but currently in Berkeley for February

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dave, this stinks. There's no way around that. But you will find a way to fight this, and beat it. Sending you and Judy warm and healing thoughts from Oakland.

    ReplyDelete