Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Another Esophageal Dilatation Scheduled

Today, I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Lewis. I am still having symptoms of my esophageal stricture. This morning, I ate some cereal for breakfast and 3 small pills, after which even coffee would not go down. Presumably the pills were enough to block the esophagus.I was uncomfortable all morning, with esophageal pain and some pain referred to my back. For lunch, I had a bowl of soup and a bottle of Boost Plus and that went down OK. Dr. Lewis told me he dilated with Bougies, which are tapered tubes, up to 56 French, which corresponds to almost 19 mm. The most he will go to is 60 French or 20 mm. He could tell that there was a fairly long segment, about 4-5 cm of narrowing, andI had some bleeding and pain from the dilatation. Fortunately, I don't have any memory of the pain.
So why do I still have symptoms? It could be largely spasm, which could be treated by Beta Blockers or Nitroglycerine. The latter would have a major side effect of headaches. His inclination is to dilate again, and this will be done Monday afternoon. Sorry, Bert, our bridge game for Monday will be cancelled.
In the meantime, it is going to be a mainly liquid diet, ingested very slowly for the next 5 days.
Apart from this, I have developed an upper respiratory infection, the first since I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma. This has not helped, but it seems to be improving.
Hopefully, this will all be taken care of before mid February, as I have two bridge tournaments planned, followed by a cruise to Hawaii. 
Captain, O Captain, don't go too close to shore.
I love to hear (from a distance), the ocean's soothing roar.
Use the Tenders as Tenders, I love those Tender rides,
Don't use them as lifeboats, with the ship listing on its side.
But if the ship were to unfortunately go down,
Rather than die of Merkel's, I would choose to drown.



3 comments:

  1. best of luck my friend...thanks for the update
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. great poem, Doc!!

    Laura
    Merkel online support group

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you poem Doc and hoping for a good outcome for you.

    ReplyDelete