Saturday, December 4, 2010

PET/CT Images Annotated. Musings

Axial CT see arrows
Coronal CT see arrows
PET Scan 
I apologize to those people who looked at the images from my previous post and had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks to Mark Alson who pointed out that not everybody can interpret these images. I am reposting images from my CT scan with arrows to show the tumor mass. I am also posting a single image from my pet scan showing the tumor mass. On that image, the mass lights up and is black in the picture while everything else is a relative gray or white.The pet scan image shows a very high level of metabolic activity indicating a very high likelihood of malignancy. On the other images, the tumor mass is visible and is new. While I have no proof by biopsy, the odds are overwhelming that this all represents a recurrence of my Merkel cell carcinoma.
After discussions with Dr. Flam, Dr. Nghiem,  Dr. John, and Dr. Parvathaneni  and  also with Dr Bhatia, the oncologist I visited at University of Washington, I have elected to proceed with the experimental treatment recommended. I think that there is little to lose, as it is highly likely that having chemotherapy and more aggressive radiation therapy will probably not be very effective. It is very likely that there are microscopic collections of tumor cells elsewhere in my body with the ability to rapidly grow as this mass did. While this would suggest that chemotherapy may be effective, Dr. Nghiem feels that the negative effect of chemotherapy on my immune system will allow those tumor cells not killed by chemotherapy to kill me.
So how do I feel being in this situation? It is highly likely that I will succumb to this disease. I may not have very much time left. Yet, I feel fine physically.
Mentally,it is very difficult. Like a song running through your head, thoughts of my condition, my treatment, and dealing with advancing illness and my ultimate demise are always in the forefront. I can't stop thinking about it. And yet, I am able to function quite well in day-to-day activities. I am continuing to work, play bridge,read, enjoy television shows, and particularly enjoy the love and support of my family.
Under the circumstances, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with the entire Shuster clan including Judy, my three sons, Gary, Brian and Michael, Gary's wife, Dana, Michael's wife, Leanna, and are five grandchildren, all together for the first time.
We were very concerned as to what we're going to tell our nine-year-old granddaughter, Eva. She was becoming very upset as she sensed that there was something wrong and nobody was telling her anything. She was concerned that there was something wrong with her, and was very relieved to learn the truth. Thanksgiving has not been a good time for her, as her maternal grandmother died on Thanksgiving day. Since learning the truth about me, she has been very loving and supportive.
So the question is, what should I do with my time that I have left. I do not plan to retreat into a world of gloom and self-pity. I have committed myself to spend some time working this month as long as I do not have substantial side effects from the radiation treatment. I think that I will continue to stick with my plan of working three afternoons per week beginning in January and additional time if needed at Kaiser. If I am feeling well, I would like to take a one-week cruise perhaps in the beginning of February. However I will only book last-minute, as I have canceled a planned two-week cruise to Hawaii, and will probably lose about $6000 which we have paid for this cruise. Additionally, I think I would like to go to Las Vegas for a few days.
I have had the goal for some time of becoming a gold life master of the American contract Bridge league. The requirement is to have 2500 master points. I need only about 90 more, and if I am feeling well enough, I will travel to some nearby tournaments to reach this goal.
I will also need to put my affairs in order. I always thought I had plenty of time to deal with issues such as drawing a will and making plans for my internment. I'll have to take care of these within the next month.
All this being said, in the words of the song from the Monty Python musical, Spamalot, I am not dead yet. I am by no means giving up the ghost to this disease. If this plan doesn't work, I will need a plan B. That may include more radiation treatment, chemotherapy, or enrollment in clinical trials.
My brother-in-law, Murray, has sent me links to clinical trials at the NIH. Thanks Murray.
 In addition, I plan to try some alternative treatments to enhance my immune system as this seems to be the most promising avenue to defeat the disease.
Looking back on my life, I was always the sort of person who deferred immediate gratification looking toward the future. I still remember feelings of jealousy is my friends were going skiing while I was busy studying for exams or working nights and weekends during my internship and residency. The question is was that worthwhile. I think it was. I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my life. I still hope to accomplish a lot more.
I have to express my gratitude for the love, support, and good spirits of my wife, Judy. She recently went through a long ordeal with her mother, taking her for radiation treatments and a providing for her needs during her battle with colon cancer, from diagnosis to final hospice care and her death. Now, she may have to go through the same ordeals with me.
I also acknowledge the outpouring of love and support from friends and colleagues during this difficult time. So many people are praying for me. To all of them, I offer my thanks.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    We were members of the MCC group at one point, so I still like to check up to see how everyone is doing. Please don't lose hope. My son was diagnosed at age 14 1/2 with what we call Stage VIII MCC. What started as a little bump on the top of his wrist which the pediatrician said was a fatty cyst, turned into MCC in many bones, too many lymph nodes to count, and at least seven internal tumors ... one on his lumbar spine, two on a lung, a large one on the chest wall, and one the size of a baseball in his neck in the pharynx region that was blocking 50% of his airway. They put in a trach temporarily. They first thought it was neuroblastoma because of his age, and then came the dreaded MCC diagnosis. He was basically a walking piece of cancer. They started him immediately on heavy duty chemo with cisplatin, etoposide and quite a few others in June of 08. In Oct. 08 after six cycles of chemo, his PET was totally clean. He then had two back to back autologous stem cell transplants in Nov. 08 and Feb. 09. His PETs are still looking good and stable. He just turned 17 on Nov. 16 and he started school again for the first time since 8th grade. He is now a junior in high school, he has a part time job, and he just got his first car. The journey wasn't easy, but please don't talk the doom and gloom. They told me in June of 08 that if chemo didn't work, he might have three months. Never lose hope Dave and never stop fighting. Scott is a walking miracle .... miracles happen. I'm sure that the radiation you will get will knock that tumor out. Scott also had radiation three months after the last transplant.

    Please know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers. We pray for your strength and for the wisdom of your doctors.

    Scott's caringbridge site is: caringbridge.org Visit: scotthammond

    Just in case you'd like to read about his courageous journey battling this beast. We know the war with MCC isn't over, but we will do what we have to ..... to keep it at bay.

    With faith and hope,
    Diane Hammond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, To a fellow physician and good friend, I offer you and your family
    all the prayers, support, and help that I can muster at this difficult and heartbreaking time. Keep fighting, and know that I am there with you. Yours truly, Larry Miller

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon this while researching Merckle cell and various prognosis and treatments:

    Please read this encouraging article article:



    http://dermatology.cdlib.org/149/case_reports/bleomycin/ely.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the paper on injecting Bleomycin into the lesion. The location of this tumor would make this approach very difficult, but I will bear this in mind should new lesions appear in a more accessible location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a patient with melanoma who popped up an isolated intracranial met. The oncologist insisted on a biopsy and it wasn't melanoma. (It was a malignant glioma). I'm just making the point that if this is your only metastasis, maybe a biopsy has value before embarking on a course of therapy.

    I too am a doc (surgeon) and I just went over the gold life master level. I got my last 5 points online. Good luck. If you ever want to play online, look for "swag" on bbo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dave
    In Ottawa we are all praying for you. I don't know if my previous comment got through but new immmmunological treatments have had some success with even refractory tumours based on Monoclonal Antibody creation at NRC Montreal and Hospital Trials there as well.

    cousin george

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dave,

    Glad you are sounding so upbeat, and we are praying that this new treatment recommended by Dr. N beats the beast down to nothing, like my son's doctors have done to his. I hope you received our "message of hope" regarding Scott's very bad MCC diagnosis. He is doing well .. living life. I pray that it will give you much hope. We would give anything for one tumor. You can beat this Dave. One MCC issue that has spread to just one other issue is treatable. Never lose hope. We are thankful for the treatment that his oncos and radiation oncos have worked out for him. They performed a total miracle. Just curious as to what the SUV value was on this new tumor you have that they are now radiating. If you don't want to respond, I totally understand. Ever since we left the MCC group, which was Scott's decision, by the way, I only hear from a few who have decided to keep in touch with us via personal email.

    Praying for you Dave and keep that spunky attitude,

    Diane and Scott Hammond

    caringbridge: scotthammond

    ReplyDelete