Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst

Today  is a day of mixed feelings. This morning I went for my radiation treatment. A single radiation dose of six gray  (GY). This is about 1/10 of the standard dose given to try to kill every cancer cell in the area. I had a dose of a total of 60 gray to my face and neck. This dose was given to my mediastinal tumor. The objective here is to induce an immune response to the tumor and hopefully to kill all the tumor cells in my body. I

Dr. John gave me a reference article printed in the international Journal of Radiation Oncology by Ganem et al,  reporting on the mechanisms of low-dose radiation treatment for lymphoma. This article gives additional support to what we are attempting, and boosted my spirits.

This afternoon, we have an appointment with an estate planning attorney to update our wills, with a view to removing any complications which might result in passing our assets to our heirs. Needless to say, this is a downer.

On the bright side, a careful review of the insurance policy regarding cancellation of our cruise to Hawaii strongly suggests that we will either be repaid by  the insurance company, or receive a credit for future cruises from Princess Cruise lines. I don't think that I want to plan a two-week cruise, but while I am still feeling good, I would like to plan a one-week cruise to the Mexican Riviera.

So many people have responded to this blog, e-mailed me, and called me, I feel very gratified by the outpouring of good wishes, prayers, support, and offers of assistance that I have received during this journey.

I plan to add some of my favorite songs, poems and limericks that I've written over my lifetime to my blog from time to time. Here is the first.

There Is No "C" in Shuster

A "C" belongs in candle
In "cap" or "cape" or "coat"
If you put a "C" in Shuster,
You will really get my goat.

You can schove a "C " in schingle,
In schop or schip or sche
But there is no "C" in Shuster
As you can plainly see.

I rarely lose my temper
I'm a level-headed man
But if you put a "C" in Shuster
The schit will hit the fan.

BTW, my word processor thinks Shuster is misspelled.





1 comment:

  1. I love your poem! I have similar feeling about an "E" belonging at the end of Lynne. But in my case it does belong right where most people omit it. Stephen feels the same way about a "V" not belonging in Stephen.
    I've heard that a good attitude, plus the right treatment often leads to a full recovery. Since you seem to have both, plus a magnificent family and friend support system; I'm rooting for a complete recovery and a speedy one at that. Count us in your support team. GO DAVE!
    Love,
    Lynne & Stephen

    ReplyDelete